Friday, September 18, 2009

Prelude to the trip

Posted by Boss (the name my grandchildren call me).  We have found ourselves at the boat late Friday night September, 18.  We've brought so many provisions aboard that I wonder if we'll be able to get the boat on plane tomorrow morning.  Of course, when planning such a trip one needs all the goodies.  Food, food and well, more food.  I wonder why really, since we will be spending the night in a marina in Jacksonville tomorrow evening and each night of this week long trip.  Must be like a snow storm coming when everyone goes out and buys milk, bread and toilet paper.  Strange. 

Of course being a guy I need all the toys; new hand held radio transceiver (gotta have a back-up to the boat, right?); car GPS and two phone GPS's (in addition to the huge moving map GPS/radar chartplotter at the helm)...yep, back-up; navigation charts in all sizes from hand held to nearly wall sized; we have enough coast guard approved flotation devices to save a large boat of Haitians..for the four of us.  We've got a flare gun with flares that I am sure could bring down the space station.  I am not sure what else.  Candy did most of the provisioning since I have been out of town for two weeks, having flown down from New York just this evening.  We were going to make this a shorter trip by going through the Okeechobee Waterway across the state to Ft. Myers and up to Clearwater but the waterway remains closed for lock construction.  We can wait no longer to make this trip so we decided early this week to go all the way around the state, cutting across the Keys.  This should be interesting. 

Planning a boat trip of this length is far more difficult to consider and do than piloting a private plane from St. Louis to Montana and back, something I did with my son and nephew years ago.  For some reason this has been more stressful.  BossSea, our 330 Silverton Sport Bridge at 35'4" is not large, but it is the largest boat we have ever owned.  I have never planned and completed a trip by boat longer than a half day thus, the anxiety.  I've done all I can so we're off.  We'll make it a seven day trip, one day at a time.  Should be fine.  Yes, it should be, I am sure.  Well, relatively sure...or feeling pretty good about it.  Well, pretty good might be a stretch, let's say feeling vulnerable......even apprehensive.  Oh Lord, we're going to die!  "Breathe, it will be ok." I am sure of it!

If you're interested in our adventure keep an eye on our blog updates, which we intend to post at least daily throughout the trip.  We'll include some pictures and let you know how it is going.

Wish us well and we will keep you "posted", (yuk, yuk...really bad blogger humor).

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to the daily posts - and will lift prayers on your behalf. Enjoy the trip. I have several friends in the Keys - let me know if I need to call them in on a rescue mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you. Look forward to hearing about this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Tim and I love to road-trip--can't wait to read the adventures of a "sea-trip" Will also pray for your safety!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't die! I'm sure you will be fine and will have a wonderful, memorable experience. Enjoy and stay safe! (Never heard Richard so nervous sounding - we will pray!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! You should be on your way by now! How's the first day going! Have fun and don't get caught in the perfect storm. I've already told you what I will do to you if that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard, you can't die I'll be lost at work without you!! Fantastic and safe voyage to you and Candy. Looking forward to the posts and the photos of your journey! Stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful adventure Richard - thank you so much for sharing
    can't wait to hear about Key West?! Just wish I was there to meet you
    L&K
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete